Take caffeine in responsible, safe doses

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

Aside from not being able to get out of bed and make an attempt to have a successful day, my mornings are rather enjoyable.

I follow the same routine, that is when I do eventually get up, and it is a routine I have carried with me since high school.

I wake up, use the latrines, attempt to finish last minute homework and of course I make a pot of coffee (not exactly in that order, but you get the gist of it.)

Adding my grandmother to my recent morning mix makes it feel like I am 16 again and worrying about why I still do not have a date for the dance.

However, whether I was in high school or rushing to get to class in college, I never left my humble abode without a cup of coffee.

Coffee is my addiction, one that runs in the family and is hard to abandon.

Yet, despite the comforting aroma that brings comfort on some of the worst days and the warm feel of the first sip the liquid gold trickling down my sore, dry throat, I know I am slowly killing myself.

Caffeine kills.

Our comfort drink that we rely on to get us through the morning, or even the day is our poison that threatens us regardless of our denial.

It is heartbreaking knowing that my savior, my only means of energy that I use to smile throughout the day turns on me with every sip.

Of course, I am exaggerating a bit but then again as I write this I am past deadline for the creation of the newspaper and in desperate need of another “pick me up” before the day reaches an end.

Yes, caffeine is unhealthy, but it is and too much of it can cause more harm than good.

Still, I am sure that there are other people out there who share my same coffee-drinking vice and rely on more than four venti cups just to get us to lunch time.

Unfortunately, according to the Mayo Clinic we are only supposed to consume up to 400 milligrams of coffee a day, which equals about four cups.

So if we do the math and incorporate all those shots of expressos and extra large cups that are more like two cups in one, I am positive that there are plenty of us who drink beyond the 400 milligrams and are miraculously alive.

On top of that if some of us take supplements, there might be caffeine hidden in small print on the labels that range anywhere from about one cup of coffee to two.

Long story short, I know that it is hard to capture the energy to get out of bed and start the day and continue through the day while still maintaining an energetic demeanor to get work done.

I also know how insulting it is to say “well sleep more than maybe you wouldn’t be so tired,” because I stay up into the wee hours of the morning working on homework because I cannot seem to keep up during the week.

However, safety and health should be our priority and there are ways to curb our caffeine fix while still feeling “energized.”

Try drinking tea or eating healthier foods such as fruit which should offer a more healthier energy kick.

Regardless of the method, anything will be better than risking a caffeine overdose.

Analicia Haynes is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].