Art students get opportunity to sell their art

AJ Fournier, Campus Reporter

Members of the Student Art Association will show off and sell their work on campus at the print sale from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday.

If it is not raining, the sale will be in front of the Doudna Steps. If it rains, it will be underneath the tent in the Library Quad.

Art professor Alan Pocaro, the adviser for the registered student organization, said the work sold is created in the printmaking classes and members of the RSO create work for the sale.

“It is really a great opportunity for the students who are selling the work, but also for students who come and buy it,” Pocaro said.

90 percent of the sales come from students.

“It is students creating their own culture and exchanging work and talking about art, buying art and exchanging art,” he said.

The sale will have mobile print screening stations, so people can screen print their own poster.

“Anybody from off the street will be able to come and participate and learn about the printmaking process, because we will be printing live,” Pocaro said.

Prices range from $5 to $20.

Students get to keep the money they make from sales of their own art, but all members donate a part of what they get back to the Art Association, which helps fund the RSO.

Pocaro said the sale also could help arts students get out of their comfort zone and attempt different types of art.

“It gets students thinking about what is popular and teaches you to talk about your work,” Pocaro said.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].