Music department Introduces new Assistant Director of Bands

Sam Fishel, Staff Reporter

Eastern introduced its new Assistant Director of Bands today at a small meet-and-greet with students at the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

Dr. Benjamin James Druffel of Wells, Minn., has been tapped to take over the position vacated by departing professor Dr. James Hile. He will lead several performance ensembles including the Panther Marching Band.

“At this point in my career, this seemed like a perfect starting point,” Druffel said. “I think the school is just the right size [and] the program is just the right size for someone to get started.”

Though it is his first college-level teaching position, Druffel comes to Eastern with previous teaching experience. While completing his doctorate, he served as a graduate assistant to the Rutgers University Marching Scarlet Knights, where he helped prepare the group for a performance at Super Bowl XLVIII.

In addition, Druffel spent several years abroad teaching at an international school in Dubai, U.A.E.

Druffel completed his bachelor’s degree in music education at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa, and went on to receive a master’s degree in fine arts from Minnesota State University, Mankato. He recently completed his doctorate at Rutgers University.

Druffel said he looks forward to working with and becoming a part of the PMB family. He said he wants his students to “be creative [and] be fun” while representing their university with pride.

He added that he wants to “keep the family going” from year to year through honored traditions.

When asked about the band’s status as a result of recent monetary uncertainty at Eastern, Druffel was firm in responding, “there will be a marching band.” He ensured the gathered students the program would continue to prosper, even while details about stable funding were being hammered out.

Looking forward to the upcoming season, Druffel said he is most excited about meeting students and working with them.

“The best part about being a teacher is getting to know these young people and working with them at this point in their life,” Druffel said.

Sam Fishel can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].