New Greek colony strolls its way to campus

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

A newly formed Greek organization, Delta Phi Delta dance fraternity, has danced its way on to campus for people who have a passion and love for the art form.

Kendall Jackson, the secretary of the organization, said DPHI was founded Jan. 18, 2000 and has about 27 chapters nationally.

Though the organization is classified as a fraternity, the organization is coed and allows individuals from all backgrounds to join.

“We are the Alpha Beta colony here and we started our journey in January and we had our probate on May 3,” said Jackson.

A probate is a coming out show for a new member a Greek organization

Whitney Turner, the president of the organization, said DPHI would set themselves apart from other dance groups with service.

“We’re not just focused on having dance shows and competitions,” said Turner. “We’re going to give back to the community and that’s what sets us aside because our principle is to uplift through dance.”

Turner said her ideas go beyond an occasional dance show and she plans to have panels as well as open discussions.

“We’re going to have a unity show, so basically we’re going to have different organizations come together and make one big show,” said Turner.

Shaniyah Mayes, the vice president, said DPHI is a community of dancers not just the physically, but mentally.

“It gives us a meaning to life,” Mayes said. “This is my air, my passion because I have been dancing all of my life.”

Nadia Dawson, the organization’s treasurer, said she wants the organization to leave its mark.

“I want to be able to say that I came here and did something great,” Dawson said. “I want to touch and mend the hearts of others and make our names strong on campus because we are about unity and productivity.”

Dawson also said she wants to lay a good foundation for their chapter to secure the future of other members.

Mayes said this organization has a certain uniqueness, which sets itself apart from other dancers.

“You hear about dance teams, dance schools (and) dance groups, but you don’t hear about a dance fraternity,” Mayes said. “I’m building a culture here and that was all the inspiration I needed.”

Mayes also said people have the mindset of either being a particular type of Greek or nothing at all; she said strolling is not just for Greeks, dance is the umbrella for every controlled movement.

“When you go to ballet class you don’t get taught ballet, its tap, modern and contemporary and as a dancer I learned to stroll as well,” Mayes said. “You still choreograph it, you time it and you still count it.”

Dawson said their organization would forever move as a unit.

“We do stuff that makes that sure we are on top of things,” Dawson said. “If someone’s grades are down we all are going to sit down and go to study tables because if you’re grades are down mine are down, you reflect off of me.”

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at tabutler@eiu.edu or 581-2812