Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Sept. 17- Men's soccer at Wright State ended in a 2-2 draw
  • Sept. 19- Jazz showcase concert in Doudna at 7:30 p.m.
  • Sept. 20- Volleyball begins play at WKU tournament
  • Sept. 21- Volleyball ends play at WKU tournament
  • Sept. 21- Football at Illinois State kicks off at 6 p.m.
  • Sept. 22- Softball vs. John A. Logan College at 11 a.m.
  • Sept. 22- Softball vs. Bradley at 4 p.m.
  • Sept. 22- Fall equinox
  • Sept. 28- 8th annual Tour De Charleston bicycle race
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 2-4-3, Men's at 1-3-1
  • Football standings: 1-2 after win over Indiana State
  • Check out our newsletters!

Track wraps up road trip

The Eastern track and field team recorded a number of top 10 finishes at last weekend’s Iowa State Classic.

Sophomore Graham Morris placed eighth in the unseeded one mile run with a time of 4:18.22, while teammate Chad Aubin placed ninth in the unseeded 800-meter dash.

The senior finished the race with a time of 1:54.84.

Junior Queenie Adeboyejo placed fifth in the women’s triple jump with a distance of 38 feet, 7.50 inches.

On the men’s side, junior Tyler Allen placed eighth with a distance of 46 feet, 3.25 inches.

In the men’s seeded 400-meter dash, senior Darren Patterson placed tenth with a time of 47.89 seconds, as well as placing ninth in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.79 seconds.

Patterson was the Ohio Valley Conference Male Athlete of the Year for last year’s indoor track season.

Patterson was also a member of the men’s 4×400 team that placed fifth with a time of 3:13.15.

Patterson was joined by freshman Cody Boarman, senior Preston Smith and red-shirt senior Pat Tortorici in the effort.

Red-shirt sophomore Jacob Mitchell placed tenth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.87 seconds.

Mitchell did not compete at the Iowa State Classic last season.

In the men’s pole vault, Scott Mammoser placed third in the unseeded event. The sophomore cleared 16-feet, 2.75-inches.

In the seeded event, red-shirt freshman Mick Viken placed seventh with a mark of 16-feet, 8.75-inches.

Viken is currently tied as the school’s all-time record holder with current pole vault coach Kyle Ellis.

Ellis first set the 17-feet, 1-inch mark in 2007, which Viken tied this season. Viken has since not been able to fully surpass the record.

Around the OVC

The Austin Peay Governors will take one final road trip before heading to Charleston for the Ohio Valley Conference Indoor Championships.

The Governors will travel to Columbus, Ohio to compete at the Ohio State Invite.

Host Ohio State’s men’s team is ranked No. 16 in the nation, while the women are ranked No. 27 nationally.

Eastern Kentucky will compete in the University of Washington Husky Indoor Open this weekend.

The host Huskies are ranked No. 20 on the men’s side and No. 37 on the women’s.

Jacksonville State competed at the Clemson Tiger Paw Invitational in preparation for the OVC Indoor Championship.

The Jacksonville State women’s 1600-meter relay team recorded the fastest time in school history with a time of 3:49.61.

The Gamecocks beat out Clemson’s second nationally ranked team in the event.

Dominic Renzetti can be reached at 581-7944 or dcrenzetti@eiu.edu

Track wraps up road trip

Track wraps up road trip

Sophomore pole vaulter Abigail Schmitz plants before vaulting over the pole during the Eastern Mega Meet on Saturday, Jan. 22 in the fieldhouse of Lantz Arena. (Jordan Boner