Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Oct. 22- Trans*formation Station Ribbon Cutting and Fashion Show at 7 pm
  • Oct. 22- Percussion Ensemble in the Doudna Black Box at 7:30 pm
  • Oct. 24- Tunnel of Oppression in the Union at 7:00 pm
  • Oct. 24- Natasha Stojanovska Piano Recital in the Recital Hall at 7:30 pm
  • Volleyball standings: 4-11 on the season (0-5 in conference)
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 5-6-5 (3-2-2), Men's at 1-9-1 (0-5)
  • Football standings: 1-6 on the season (0-4 in conference)
  • Check out our newsletters on Overlooked!

Women’s studies group returns

After a long absence, the women’s studies registered student organization at Eastern has again become active, with members holding their first meeting Oct. 21.

Group members credit their faculty sponsor, women’s studies coordinator Jeannie Ludlow, with bringing the organization back to campus.

“She spearheaded it,” said member Will Kendall. “It’s very nice to see a professor on campus who cares about something and cares about her students.”

Ludlow said she supported the RSO because it can fight complacency about gender equality.

“We live in an era when women have made so many incredible gains . it is easy for students who were born in that era to think that we have reached true equality,” Ludlow said. “But there are still disparities between men’s and women’s experiences in our society.”

She said the group is planning several events to highlight those disparities.

“Upcoming events include a ‘feminist bake sale’ that aims to increase awareness about the gender and race gaps in earning potential,” Ludlow said. She added that the group is planning a production of the stage performance ‘the Vagina Monologues’ in February. The group is also considering hosting a series of guest speakers in the spring, Ludlow said.

The group’s president, Rebecca Rowe, said the organization has a growing membership.

“According to the attendance sheet from our first meeting, we have 11 members, although I know of a few people who are interested (in) the group but could not make it to the meeting,” Rowe said.

Rowe said she became involved with the RSO because of her concern about discrimination against women and others.

“There is something inside me that just can’t fathom why people discriminate and hold one group of individuals at a higher value than others,” Rowe said. “This group is a big step toward helping raise awareness of the gap and, hopefully, the beginning of a bridge across it.”

Kendall said he joined the RSO to help foster feminism at Eastern.

“I think that feminism . is something people on this campus don’t hear enough about,” Kendall said. “(This group) creates a place in our little Eastern community for people who care about feminism.”

The organization is open to all students, regardless of gender or major, Ludlow said.

“You do not have to be a women’s studies minor, or ever have taken a women’s studies course, to be in the group,” Ludlow said. “You just need to want to raise awareness on our campus and work with some fun and energetic people.”

Joe Astrouski can be reached at 581-7942 or jmastrouski@eiu.edu.

Women’s studies group returns

Women's studies group returns

Amanda Wildenberg, a junior biology major, talks about upcoming events as Tynisa Watson, a senior family and consumer sciences major, listens during the women’s studies registered student organization meeting in the women’s Resource Center in the basement