Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Oct. 21- Faculty Chamber Recital in the Doudna recital hall at 7:30 pm
  • Oct. 22- Trans*formation Station Ribbon Cutting and Fashion Show at 7 pm
  • Oct. 22- Percussion Ensemble in the Doudna Black Box at 7:30 pm
  • Oct. 24- Tunnel of Oppression in the Union at 7:00 pm
  • Oct. 24- Natasha Stojanovska Piano Recital in the Recital Hall at 7:30 pm
  • Volleyball standings: 4-11 on the season (0-5 in conference)
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 5-6-5 (3-2-2), Men's at 1-9-1 (0-5)
  • Football standings: 1-6 on the season (0-4 in conference)
  • Check out our newsletters on Overlooked!

Newell joins city council

Mayor John Inyart described councilman Tim Newell’s character as a public official in three adjectives.

“A very fair, very level-headed, very professional individual,” he said.

Inyart said Newell, who will conclude his fifth month on the council at the end of September, quickly acclimated himself with Charleston’s budget, five-year plan and financial state after taking office in April.

He said Newell contributed from the start and was able to have intelligent conversations about city issues with the rest of the council.

“He’s very involved,” Inyart said. “He’s done an excellent job.”

Newell was elected to fill Lorelei Sims’ position on the council. Sims decided not to run for re-election after she moved outside city limits.

Newell, who unsuccessfully ran for the council in 2007, finishing 220 votes shy of defeating incumbent Larry Rennels, said his lifelong residency in Coles County helped him transition to the council.

Newell attended elementary school in Charleston, graduated from Mattoon High School and received his degree from Eastern. He spent 30 years as a banker in Coles County and now teaches math for Charleston High School.

“I’m pretty well grounded not only in our community, but in all of Coles County,” Newell said.

He said he knew the issues surrounding city government because of his work as a banker and knew what issues were affecting him as a homeowner and taxpayer.

Newell said there are more intricate details to city government than one may think, adding he had to absorb information concerning ordinances and codes as quickly as he could.

“I don’t really know if someone could equip themselves immediately by asking a few questions and two weeks of cram work,” Newell said. “It’s not realistic.”

He said he did not feel hesitant to contribute during public and executive meetings. The rest of the council welcomed him and the environment has been positive since he took office, Newell said.

He said that so far, he has not been blindsided by any issue that has cropped up since he started his new role as councilman.

Newell’s decision to run for public office ties into his days as a banker.

He said he missed the high-profile, fast-paced environment that came with lending issues involving local businesses.

“I kind of missed that environment,” Newell said.

He said he also knew he could contribute his ideas about city government just as well as anybody else.

Newell said he hopes to maintain the quality of Charleston’s financial state and ensure that the taxpayers’ money is spent wisely during his four-year term, which ends April 30, 2013.

Newell, who will turn 61 at the end of September, said it is too early for him to know whether he will run for re-election in 2013.

“I feel more comfortable with the position today than I did in April,” he said. “I’m enjoying what I’m doing. I’ve had no regrets about running for office. I’m happy. I’m comfortable with it.”

Stephen Di Benedetto can be reached at 581-7942 or at sdibenedetto@eiu.edu.

Newell joins city council

Newell joins city council

Tim Newell stands by Charleston High School, where he teaches, Monday. Newell is the newest addition to the city council.(Lauren LaPlante/The Daily Eastern News)