Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Oct. 22- Trans*formation Station Ribbon Cutting and Fashion Show at 7 pm
  • Oct. 22- Percussion Ensemble in the Doudna Black Box at 7:30 pm
  • Oct. 24- Tunnel of Oppression in the Union at 7:00 pm
  • Oct. 24- Natasha Stojanovska Piano Recital in the Recital Hall at 7:30 pm
  • Volleyball standings: 4-11 on the season (0-5 in conference)
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 5-6-5 (3-2-2), Men's at 1-9-1 (0-5)
  • Football standings: 1-6 on the season (0-4 in conference)
  • Check out our newsletters on Overlooked!

Editorial Cartoon: Harry Potter vs. Star Trek

Some of us may appreciate them, some may think they have busted one too many of their friends. But no matter what is thought of them, the officers of the University Police Department at Eastern are just as friendly as they could be, and Officer Ryan Risinger is a prime example of that.

Risinger is a crime prevention officer and in this position he gives presentations to inform the community about ways to protect themselves during times of danger.

“We do alcohol awareness programs, presentations about overall safety awareness and your whereabouts on campus; walking in groups and walking in lighted areas,” Risinger said.

After graduating from Milliken University with a degree in business, Risinger began to work for Illinois Consolidated Telephone Company.

“I had a pretty good job with ICTC, but some of my friends began to lose their jobs and I started to think it could be me,” Risinger said. “I started thinking, and I always wanted to be a cop, so I thought I’d try it out.”

Being a UPD officer isn’t always great, Risinger said.

“The worst part, I feel, is having to file the property damage reports, private and for the university,” Risinger said. “I don’t like filing these certain reports because of the lack of respect people have for other people’s property.”

Overall, after being apart of the UPD for four years, he said he likes the opportunities he has and likes being able to network with the students and faculty.

“It’s kind of neat. I have been here for four years, so the people who just graduated were freshman my first year,” Risinger said. “Seeing them as freshman and then watching them walk across the stage at graduation (was) really neat.”

He helps with freshman orientation classes and the EIU foundation class as well.

“Everybody on the department wants to be approachable, especially me, I encourage it,” Risinger said. “I ask the kids from the classes, when they see me out on the street to stop me and say ‘hey.’ That way, if you ever have something serious you want to come talk to me about, we have an icebreaker.”

Kayleigh Zyskowski can be reached at 581-7943 or at kzyskowki@eiu.edu.

Drawn to amuse by Jeff Jurinek