Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Oct. 21- Faculty Chamber Recital in the Doudna recital hall at 7:30 pm
  • Oct. 22- Trans*formation Station Ribbon Cutting and Fashion Show at 7 pm
  • Oct. 22- Percussion Ensemble in the Doudna Black Box at 7:30 pm
  • Oct. 24- Tunnel of Oppression in the Union at 7:00 pm
  • Oct. 24- Natasha Stojanovska Piano Recital in the Recital Hall at 7:30 pm
  • Volleyball standings: 4-11 on the season (0-5 in conference)
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 5-6-5 (3-2-2), Men's at 1-9-1 (0-5)
  • Football standings: 1-6 on the season (0-4 in conference)
  • Check out our newsletters on Overlooked!

Upperclassmen presence in residence halls stable

This year, 1,206 upperclass students live on campus.

“These numbers are very stable,” Mark Hudson, director of housing and dining, said.

“They are similar to those of last year Fall 2007.”

Stevenson Hall, a resident living hall, can house approximately 370 students. After the 10-day room period, 220 students are assigned in Stevenson, making Stevenson the hall with the most upperclass residents.

Complex Director Michelle Hopper said the reason the number does not add up to 370 is because many students in Stevenson tend to buy out doubles as singles.

Hudson said many upperclass students request for a double as a single when Eastern re-contracts with them and most of the time the requests are granted.

However, if halls get over capacitated, some singles will be pulled in priority order.

“We make sure people have elbow room and encourage them to come back to campus,” he said.

This year no singles were taken back, because of the stable number of students living on campus.

Hudson said the numbers might fluctuate because students who are supposed to be upperclassmen may not be for the semester, due to a low total of credit hours.

The last time Eastern had issues with capacity was when they required both freshmen and sophomores to live on campus until 1994.

According to the residence hall satisfaction survey of 2006-2007, 94 percent of students were satisfied with their room assignment.

“For some folks who move back onto campus for a semester, I tend to find they are buying doubles as singles because most of them already live on campus because they already live in apartment style,” Hopper said.

Hopper said Stevenson had 251 residents in their building as of Aug. 25, first day of classes. However, students move because of various reasons including roommate issues and convenience issues.

“People move out early because of extreme differences in roommates,” Hopper said. “So extreme that it causes them to struggle academically.”

She said her staff in Stevenson is there to help mediate the problems in the hall. They are trained to talk out concerns, but when extreme cases arrive, arrangements are made.

Hudson said the university encourages students to live on campus.

“We build a strong community here in Stevenson,” Hopper said. “It is really different because they are upperclass students.”

She said students live in Stevenson because it gives people a sense of independence. Staff members are available 24 hours a day and the comfort of a neighbor is valuable to a student, Hopper added.

She added, it is convenient and people who do not have cars may find it quicker to live on campus.

“The Lawson ladies choose to live here because there’s never a dull moment in the South Quad, convenience, it’s a nice building with continuous improvements and because the ladies who live here are just that,” said Lawson Hall Director Temetria Hargett.

Hopper would like to recommend staying on campus as long as you can. Hopper, who has lived on a university campus for 12 years, enjoys the environment of college residence halls. This year she has met many people that have the same view she does.

“I met a wide variety of people and students and I’m happy they have the same connection,” Hopper said.

Hargett said her goal is to create better communities, opportunities to attend programs and council meetings, to keep residents connected with other residents so friendships can form.

Upperclassmen in Residence Halls

Stevenson: 220

Taylor: 95

Thomas: 59

Andrews: 56

Lawson: 51

McKinney: 50

Ford: 42

Pemberton: 37

Weller 37

Lincoln: 23

Douglas: 21

Carman: 10

Brittni Garcia can be reached at 581-7942 or at bmgarcia@eiu.edu.

Upperclassmen presence in residence halls stable

Jacy Brasher, special education major, has a laugh when one of her co-workers comes in to the information desk at Stevenson Tower on Sunday. Brasher has lived in Stevenson since her junior year. She is currently a third year senior, and likes the atmosphe