Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Oct. 22- Trans*formation Station Ribbon Cutting and Fashion Show at 7 pm
  • Oct. 22- Percussion Ensemble in the Doudna Black Box at 7:30 pm
  • Oct. 24- Tunnel of Oppression in the Union at 7:00 pm
  • Oct. 24- Natasha Stojanovska Piano Recital in the Recital Hall at 7:30 pm
  • Volleyball standings: 4-11 on the season (0-5 in conference)
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 5-6-5 (3-2-2), Men's at 1-9-1 (0-5)
  • Football standings: 1-6 on the season (0-4 in conference)
  • Check out our newsletters on Overlooked!

Men’s Cross Country: Butler back with Panthers

Men's Cross Country: Butler back with Panthers

Panhellenic recruitment numbers are slightly lower compared to previous years.

Robyn Paige, interim director of Greek Life, said the lower numbers could be because of a shorter application process. The process was shorter because school started later, she added.

About 360 girls applied to go though recruitment this year, which is down from 2007; however, the turnout was still considered a success.

Paige said she was pleased with the number of girls that signed up considering sororities had one less week of classes to prepare before recruitment started.

“I think we always hope for more women to join the process, as formal recruitment is probably the best way for a woman who is curious about the Panhellenic sororities to learn about our nine chapters,” Paige said. “But the group of women we have is very solid.”

Freshman Courtney Raupp said the recruitment process came up quick and was a bit overwhelming, but she thinks the process overall went smoothly and was fun.

Raupp knew before school started that it was something she wanted to do.

“I saw how close my sister was with her friends when she did it and a lot of girls on my floor signed up too,” said Raupp.

In order to keep recruitment numbers high, sororities made a big effort on campus to make students aware of the different houses that the Greek system offers.

They hosted a barbeque with the Carman Dining Center where the nine chapters on campus were available for questions.

They also had informational tables set up in the Student Recreation Center, the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union and Carman Hall where girls were able to sign to one of the chapters.

A Meet and Greet, and Open House were arranged as a way for girls to become familiar with how Greek life works.

Kristina Donash, a member of Sigma Kappa, thought sororities were successful in their efforts to recruit girls.

Donash added many girls decide to join because of the leadership opportunities available and also because of the friendships that can be made.

“It’s a bond that you can’t get anywhere else,” Donash said.

An increase in the required GPA for pledging was also changed from a 2.3 cumulative to a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

Also, students are now being picked up from the union and taken to Greek Court by rental buses, unlike previous years where potential members were driven by girls from the various chapters.

The dress code for recruitment was less strict as well.

“Eastern Gear” was the theme of the first round of recruitment, which took place Thursday and Friday.

The recruitment gave girls a chance to show their school spirit while dressing relaxed at the same time.

Paige said the National Panhellenic Council would like to do away with of some of the older traditions that have been attached to sorority recruitment.

“The reason for this is that a lot of these traditions detract from the real reason women are going through recruitment,” she said. “Moving away from the event being so dressy was designed to help make the chapters and women more comfortable and genuine in the process.”

Bridget Pearson can be reached at 581-7942 or at bapearson@eiu.edu.

Brad Butler, a fifth-year senior for the men’s cross country team, agreed last year to be red-shirted for his senior year.

Eastern senior Brad Butler warms up with his teammates on Tuesday afternoon at O’Brien Stadium. Butler red-shirted last year and is now back as the Panthers’ top runner and leader. He ran a personal best 25 minutes, 34 seconds at the 2006 Ohio Valley Conf