Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Sept. 17- Men's soccer at Wright State ended in a 2-2 draw
  • Sept. 19- Jazz showcase concert in Doudna at 7:30 p.m.
  • Sept. 20- Volleyball begins play at WKU tournament
  • Sept. 21- Volleyball ends play at WKU tournament
  • Sept. 21- Football at Illinois State kicks off at 6 p.m.
  • Sept. 22- Softball vs. John A. Logan College at 11 a.m.
  • Sept. 22- Softball vs. Bradley at 4 p.m.
  • Sept. 22- Fall equinox
  • Sept. 28- 8th annual Tour De Charleston bicycle race
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 2-4-3, Men's at 1-3-1
  • Football standings: 1-2 after win over Indiana State
  • Check out our newsletters!

Panthers pull through late

For the first time in a long time, silence didn’t occupy the Eastern women’s basketball team’s locker room.

After pulling out a 63-61 victory Thursday night over Tennessee Tech, music could be heard blaring in the Panthers locker room, with each player walking out with a sense of confidence that had been lacking in recent weeks.

Mired in a shooting slump and coming off the bench for the second time all year, Meggie Eck responded with a long-range jump shot that put the Panthers up 63-61 with 19 seconds left.

The Panthers (6-13, 3-7 OVC) followed up with one of their staunchest defensive efforts of the year, denying Tennessee Tech sharpshooter Kendall Cavin (23 points) the ball as time expired.

For Eck, who mostly displays a stoic attitude, the shot was a big moment for a senior struggling to find her shot and for a team desperately seeking a victory.

“That is the best my shot felt in a long time,” Eck said. “It wasn’t the prettiest shot, but I felt it was gonna go in.”

Prior to the game-winning shot, the teams traded baskets in the final minutes with Cavin hitting a jumper to give Tennessee Tech (5-13, 4-5) a 61-59 lead with two minutes left. Before Cavin’s shot, Rachel Galligan (13 points, 10 rebounds) and freshman Jessica Huffman (18 points) fueled a 10-0 run that put the Panthers up 59-56.

Coming off the bench to help the rally was sophomore Lindsey Kluempers, who provided a spark.

“It’s hard coming off the bench and getting in any kind of rhythym,” Kluempers said. “You have to make the most of your minutes.”

Continuing a trend of letting 3-point shooters have breakout games, the Panthers allowed Cavin to hit an array of high-arching shots.

“I was more focused than I have been in a while,” Cavin said.

As for the last shot by Eck, Eastern head coach Brady Sallee said it wasn’t how he drew it up, but was pleased with Eck’s improvisation.

“I don’t need it to be pretty or a work of art,” Sallee said. “I need it to be a ‘W.’ This team needed something like that in their favor.”

The first half was anything but a work of art with both teams combining for 23 turnovers. The Panthers began the game with a stretch of six turnovers in the first four minutes. Even with all the turnovers, Tennessee Tech only scored six points off the Panthers’ miscues, leading to the Golden Eagles 33-29 lead at the break.

With the Panthers at 3-7 during the midway point of the conference season, Sallee hopes this win does more than get Eastern some much-needed confidence.

“This win rejuvenates us and lets us put the past in the past,” Sallee said. “If we play defense the way we did tonight, we can get in the tournament. This was one of those pats on the back we needed desperately.”

Panthers pull through late

Panthers pull through late

Senior Meggie Eck dribble the ball during Thursday nights game against Tennesse Tech in Lantz arena. Senior leadership led the panthers to victory as Meggie Eck hit the game winning shot with seconds left in the game. (John Bailey / The Eastern News)