BSWs sanitize Eastern’s campus in wake of COVID-19

Corryn Brock, News Editor

As the Eastern community returns to campus, building service workers are maintaining cleanliness on university grounds.

Several changes have been made around campus as a result of COVID-19, from a structured dining center experience to designated shower stalls and sinks to individuals being asked to avoid being in the many academic buildings on campus. However, one thing that has not changed is the amount of building service workers sanitizing the campus.

Building service workers have put off special projects they would typically be working on now and focused on sanitizing the buildings on campus to try to prevent the spread of germs.

Logan Raschke
A poster hangs on the door of Room 1842 of Buzzard Hall Wednesday that explains any entry is not allowed unless authorized. Building service workers are sanitizing Eastern as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Michelle Burnside, AFSCME Local 981 steward, said the most important thing to the building service workers right now is “the health and safety of the students and staff” by “sanitizing everything.”

Burnside said there are currently about 80 building service workers around campus continuing to work through the governor’s “stay at home” order as they are essential workers.

One hundred percent of the building service workers employed at Eastern are currently working.

Burnside said as the building service workers perform their duties through the pandemic, they have the same concerns as everyone else: health and safety.

She added those concerns are for both the building service workers themselves and the rest of the campus community.

“Although campus is closed, we still do have people living on campus, we still do have people working on campus, and so we’re doing everything that we can to ensure that everything is clean and safe,” Burnside said.

As building service workers continue to protect those who need to be on campus, Burnside had suggestions of how the campus community can help protect themselves and those working on campus.

She suggested everyone to follow the governor’s orders and CDC guidelines, avoid coming to campus if possible and try to minimize contact with people.

The CDC recommends:

· Washing hands thoroughly and often

· Avoiding touching the eyes, nose and mouth

· Avoiding close contact

· Staying home if you’re sick

· Covering the mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing

· Throwing away used tissues

· Washing hands or using hand sanitizer immediately after sneezing or coughing

Burnside echoed words that are being heard often during the current pandemic.

“We will get through this together,” Burnside said.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].